Thursday, February 16, 2006

An Identity: Shalvi

People have found out innumerable and indigenous spellings for my name and almost all pronounce it differently. Totally leaves me shocked!! Somewhere down the ages it has also made me bias towards people who correctly spell and pronounce my name. I give them special attention coz I get furious when someone says it differently then the voice accustomed to my eardrums. I always thought that people with known names had less difficulty then I had, as my name was always twisted. I always wished that my parents had kept a more familiar or popular name for me. Life would have been so easy then, no explaining the way to pronounce, spell or meaning of your name. But being the first born, I guess all parents have this desire that they should give a different name to their child.

My parents were no exception. They can still not remember, though I have asked umpteen times, as to where did they derive at the name “Shalvi”. Every time I ask a new story pops up, I assume they have forgotten and do not want me to know this. So instead of embarrassing them all the time, I have stopped asking. But a name should mean something na?? So I thought of exploring myself the history behind my name. What was all the more interesting was that people used to tell me different meanings for my name, as I myself did not know the correct one. Some thought it came from the word “shalv” and down the ages due to usage, a word was formed “shalvi”. Someone also told me that “salvi” is a surname and u add an H and it becomes a name.

So much for innovation! Another theory was that off my name being “shalby” but incorrect pronunciation rendered it as “Shalvi” Every time I got a new meaning it thrilled me, made me feel as to wow!! There are so many meanings attached to my name. Regret, it was proved wrong always L. But Alas! I think I have got the correct meaning of my name.Thanks to a friend who understood my dilemma and helped me find the meaning. I will be indebted to him for life. According to his sources “Shalvi” means Daughter of a Sage; And yes "Shalvi Agarwal" is a unique name. Try searching it on google and you will only find me!! There goes modesty out of the window. But do not go by the meaning as it does not say anything about me but defines my dad perfectly. I am no saint and don’t want to be one too.

4 comments:

Mayuri said...

Awesome writing, Shalvi! Simply super! keep going!

Lots of love!

Bala said...

U writes great, but writes BORING stuff.
About name: The things get meaning by isomorphisms not really with a spelling..he he he.

Bala said...

Identity is flexibility representations of ourself and the world !

ilaxi patel said...

And I find your name in google listed on Swagat Children Library....!